Here are the 19 most popular MFWire
stories of 2019.
| Kristi Lynn Mitchem|
BMO Global Asset Management
19) An $85B-AUM AM's Equity Chair Departs
, October 9 - Bill Mahler
, equity asset management chairman at Robert W. Baird
, left the firm after conduct that didn't fit expectations, according Baird's overall chairman and its CEO.
18) Will Federated Buy a $54.6B Shop?
, May 2 - Unnamed sources reportedly said that the publicly traded fund firm was in talks with PNC
about buying an asset management unit from the bank. A week later, the two firms unveiled
a deal for Federated to buy part of PNC Capital Advisors. The deal closed
17) So Much For That $1.6T Asset Management Merger
, May 14 - The UBS
merger talks reportedly stalled.
16) An NYC Fund Firm Lays Off Dozens
, July 3 - The JPMAM
team filed to lay off 52 of its NYC employees at the end of September.
15) Calamos Drums Up a Midwestern Acquisition
, January 23 - Calamos Investments
agreed to buy a growth equity shop in Milwaukee.
14) An M* Vet Takes Over a Midwestern Fund Firm
, July 12 - The board of Diamond Hill
picked Heather Brilliant
to take over as CEO in September.
13) Two Asset Management Deals That Weren't
, April 23 - Victory's
planned purchase of Harvest Volatility Management
fell through, and a senior Wells Fargo
exec insists they won't be selling off WFAM any time soon.
12) Who Gained Market Share In 2018?
, January 31 - Vanguard
, and Fidelity
swallowed a bigger piece of 2018's AUM pie.
11) Putnam's Parent Refocuses Its U.S. Biz On Three Units
, January 25 - Great-West
agrees to sell most of its individual life insurance and annuity business.
10) This New Fund Firm Won the 2018 Flows Race In Just Two Months
, January 24 - Morningstar
led the 2018 inflows race among the smallest fund firms.
9) What Jobs Is This $538B Asset Manager Moving?
, February 20 - A local pub highlights the breakdown of the 1,050 jobs that AllianceBernstein
will bring to Nashville by the end of 2022.
8) A Triumvirate Cedes Power to a Sole CEO
, January 31 - Marc Mayer
took over as sole CEO of Manning & Napier
7) Only Two Firms Added more Than $10B In 2018
, January 17 - The biggest MF and ETF AUM winners of 2018 were Charles Schwab
and Edward Jones' Bridge Builder
6) The Invesco-OpFunds Deal Closes, and More Chips Fall
, May 28 - With 2019's biggest merger closing, the fates of more OppenheimerFunds
C-suiters came to light.
5) Will Two Banks Create a $1.5T Asset Management Titan
, April 5 - Earlier rumors (see above) about UBS
considering combining its asset management business with DWS
4) T. Rowe, Fidelity, Pimco, and OpFunds Crush It In Gotham
, March 8 - Refinitiv's Lipper
team hosts their annual U.S. fund awards dinner.
3) A 13-Year Neuberger Vet Dies
, April 26 - A PM and partnership committee member passed away.
2) Expect Miracles Takes Manhattan For a Fifth Time
, January 25 - The cancer-fighting charity crosses the $10-million mark for donations to cancer-fighting research.
1) A San Fran Fundster Takes Over a $320B AUM Multinational
, January 23 - Kristi Mitchem
was hired to take over as BMO GAM
CEO in March.
Stay ahead of the news ... Sign up for our email alerts now